The European AGATA project (Multi-services agency based on telecommunication centres for the integrated management of mobility and of accessibility to transport services) was financed under the European INTERREG IIIB MEDOCC programme and coordinated by the Tuscany Region. The project was a two years project starting in July 2004 and ended in June 2006.
ATAF participated as partner of the Consortium with a specific pilot site in Florence.
"Flexible Mobility" stands for the capability in answering to the real transport demand both of citizens/users and goods delivery and of general infomobility needs and transport services. This "flexibility" requires a continue dynamic capacity of planning, programming, implementation and management of the different mobility and transport services. It is necessary to realise a coordinated and integrated Multiservices Agency. The Agency, acts as tele-multiservices centre for the integration and coordination of the different mobility/transport services to be provided in an urban/city area or in a large territory composed by different towns and cities.
From the other side, the availability of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) has radically altered the possibilities for management Mobility and providing Transport Services, in terms of interface with the potential citizens/customers, optimisation and assignment to meet the travel requests and in managing the service. This has been achieved by using advanced ICT applications and mobile communication platforms. Better understanding of both the needs of the users and the potential markets has stimulated new service concepts based on flexibility of services, communications, booking and reservation functions, and customer support.
The Agency to guarantee this "flexible and dynamic" capability, is based on an ICT platform and infrastructure in order to allow the management of the information and work flow related to the urban and extraurban context in which the Agency operates.
The project was based on the needs and requirements of different urban/extraurban areas and Authorithies for realising flexible mobility and user information services (unique information number, infomobility telecentre, traffic monitoring, multiservices provision, etc). The aim of the project was to exchange experiences, transfer best practices, realize site pilot case studies and promotion initiatives and business models on a Tele-multiservices Agency, which would answer to these needs and create potentials in social cohesion and in job opportunities in the MEDOCC areas.
AGATA project was composed by different actions (studies, pilots, experience transfer, results diffusion, etc) that has been developed both at project and at site level related to different partners and to one or more services to be coordinated by the Agency. The project allowed an effective and efficient implementation of both vertical site level as well as of horizontal project level activities.
The Agency architecture is based on innovative and distributed IC technologies and advanced e-Business services.
The ICT infrastructure is composed by a set of network services facilitating the interaction among the different actors and users (in broad sense) of the Agency, both services providers and citizens/customers/Authorities and the operation of all the work phases.
Three operational context was identified to provide the services:
- Network Communication and integration of the different operators by an ICT services;
- Planning and management of logistic and mobility flows and processes by and advanced ICT platform;
- Interaction with users by a dedicated web portal and e-business and e-commerce services which facilitate the accessibility to the mobility and logistic services.
From the functional point of view the Agency could provide the following services to the citizens/users and transport operators:
- Interaction among users and flexible mobility services
- Interactions with trade operators
- Services for the transport operators (public, goods, dedicated services)
- Services of planning and management transport and delivery process
- Communication services
- Fleet and delivery services
- Logistic base management
- General services for the interaction with the Mobility coordination (e.g.: traffic management, access control, parking management, etc).
AGATA IN FIRENZE
In the field of AGATA project, ATAF has developed the "AGATA-Portal for flexible mobility services and Infomobility in Florence" providing information of the bus transit at the different bus stops and providing services for booking flexible mobility services in the Florence Metropolitan Area (DRTs – PersonalBus service). The information could be reached by the portal through web connection from own PC and by SMS. Further information at http://www.serviziflessibili.it.
ATAF also organized the European Conference "Infomobility and Flexible Transport Services: towards the governance and sustainability in European cities" that took place in Florence on May 25th and 26th 2006. It was successful with more than 250 people attending the conference.
- REGIONE TOSCANA (Co-ordinator), Firenze (IT)
- TECHNOMOBILITY, Public and private transport Consortium, Cagliari (IT)
- ATAF SpA, Public Transport Company, Firenze (IT)
- CTP SpA, Public Transport Company, Napoli (IT)
- Ajuntament de Terrassa, Municipality, Terrassa (ES)
- AREAL, Regional Energy and Environment Authority, Algarve (PT)
- Ajuntament de Granada, Municipality, Granada (ES)
- City Council of Marrakech, Marrakech
Further information at www.agataproject.net